Thursday, February 9, 2012

When My Host Dad Speaks English

     Thinking back on my first week with Règine and Pierre I remember my surprise when my second host dad talked to me in english. Pierre is an intelligent man in many different ways. One of his talents is his vast knowledge of the french, german, and english languages. Everyday since I arrived, he says little phrases or expressions to me in english. It does not frustrate me if he does not speak in french with me because I love when he talks to me in english. Sometimes his grammer is off or he pronounces the words wrong, but it's really cute. French and Belgian people have a lot of difficulty saying the "th," "w." His english speaking attempts also reflect his understanding of my position and the difficulty of communication when culutres and languages collide. In at least one way I have a reason to smile each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment