Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sweet Dreams

     The last day of my trip in the Alps with my host mom and her family and friends started extremely early. My host mom woke me up around 4 o'clock in the morning so we could get on the road before traffic would pile up. The instant Règine brought me to consciousness, the first thought that came to my mind was the context of my dream. As I mulled over my dream I realized that I was not speaking english, but french! The characters in my dream spoke in french as well. Most of the time I do not remember my dreams, however, I believe I have dreamt in french before without knowing it. The main reason I knew that night I dreamt in french was caused by Règine who interrupted my Rapid Eye Movement sleep cycle before it was finished. In fact, when people experience their most vivid dreams they are having Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep. 
     Dreams go through different types of sleep cycles and REM sleep is only one part of it. Most people do not recall their dreams unless they write it down; it depends on the person. The dreams each person experiences may reflect their feelings, thoughts, behaviors, personality, motives, values, beliefs, etc.
     On the other side of regular dreams, nightmares also exist. The main causes of nightmares are usually stress, trauma, emotional events, illness, drugs, or medication. People who are generally more sensitive and open are more susceptible to nightmares than others. A cure for these harsh dreams don't exist, however, they come and go as is natural in life.
     My discovery of the dream during my vacation was surprising and exciting. I doubted myself whether I actually dreamt in french, but it was real. Dreams reflect what people think and do and I believe, since I am constantly surrounded by french, that it has surfaced in my dreams. The reason why people dream is still a mystery to me, but I take pleasure in their drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment